Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm interested in how the recent budget cuts have impacted your use of technology. In my Department we are moving to a pay-to-print with the computers. We are also scheduled to run out of Xerox paper in March. Once the supply is gone....that's it for making copies. Recently, the IT guy in our Department disconnected the printers with IT magic; however, he didn't bother to tell anyone. He later sent out an email stating the reasons for the change and placed student abuse of printing privileges as the number one factor. This prompted me to write an email that eventually got me in trouble but resulted in some of the printers being reconnected....sometimes in life if you want something good (like a scrambled egg...pottery...a baby) you need to make a mess of things. Anyways, what is the policy in your respective departments: 1) Do you pay-to-print to get a hold of something off the computer; 2) Do you pay to print for xerox; 3) when is your paper going to run out and if it is later than March, can I have some; 4) what impacts will this have on your teaching?

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I hate to say it, but I think your department is falling apart. Or, maybe everything is... I dunno.

    Anyway, for some reason we still have free printing in Ecology. I only use it for course-related stuff like journal articles. For making copies for teaching purposes we use a code and it gets charged to the account for that course. I hope you're not getting charged to make copies of stuff for teaching! That would be ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me something I don't already know. We haven't been charged for anything until recently. We have individual codes for the xerox, and there is a sign on the wall that states that anything outside of departmental use is charged 5 cents a copy; however, we are never charged for anything...and nobody has ever been questioned about xerox use. Concerning teaching materials, nobody mentioned what the policy would be until I pitched a fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our department, GAs are no longer able to print without one of our secretaries or faculty doing the printing for them. We also have to purchase our own paper to print in our offices, which isn't that big of a deal, but it still is an extra $30-60 dollars per semester that can be spent on other things. As far as impacting my teaching it simply makes me plan ahead more. No longer can I come in early the morning of a class and make copies, rather I have to provide the needed document (mainly tests) to our secretary ahead of time (about a week) to make the copies for me. Other than that, my teaching has remained unchanged.

    ReplyDelete